Go to main navigation
6120 Shallowford Road, Suite 108, Chattanooga, Tennessee 37421


Chattanooga Lawyer Assists with Post-Divorce Modifications

When life changes, our attorney helps you seek changes to your divorce settlement

While a divorce decree is considered final, courts handling family law cases understand that people’s circumstances change over time. If there are significant changes that make it necessary to change the terms of your support or custody agreement, such as a substantial change in income or a move out of state, our team at Daniel K. Habenicht, PLLC, can help you seek modifications — court-ordered changes — to your divorce settlement. Courts will only order modifications, however, when circumstances truly warrant them.

Types of modifications

Most modifications to divorce decrees typically involve issues with children or alimony:

  • Child custody. Child custody or parenting plan agreements may need to be modified as a child grows older, has activities after school, and visiting times change. They may also need to be changed if an older child wants to live with the other parent, or if a parent moves out of state.
  • Child support. Child support payments may need to be modified when a parent has a substantial increase or decrease in income or otherwise when a modification to the support order is deemed by the court to be in the best interest of the child.
  • Alimony. Some types of alimony can be modified when either party’s financial circumstances change significantly or when one parent remarries.

Mediating modifications

Often, modifications can be mediated outside of the courtroom. Mediation is often a less contentious and faster process through which you can handle legal issues with your former spouse. Daniel K. Habenicht, PLLC is a Rule 31 Registered Mediator who can bring parties together to agree upon modifications that the court is most likely to grant.

Call us when you need modifications to your divorce settlement

Our dedicated team of divorce lawyers at Daniel K. Habenicht, PLLC, ensures that you’ll always speak to a lawyer or a paralegal when you have questions about modifications. We’re conveniently located near the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga campus. Call us at 423-756-3650 or contact us online.